Where it all began

The elegant Georgian fronted building, was built in 1827 by the Moffat Bath Company as Moffat Baths Hall. When originally completed, the Baths Hall comprised of reading rooms, an assembly hall and bathing suites.

From 1827, the running of Moffat Baths Hall linked closely to the operation of Moffat Hydro Hotel along with the Moffat Mineral Well at the top of Well road. The water for the baths was piped from the mineral well, with a hot mineral bath costing two shillings (10p) and a cold bath one shilling (5p) – a considerable sum in those days!

Further development

In 1859, the appearance of hall undertook great change when two ‘wings’ were added at each end of the building. The northern end became the entrance and foyer, with the southern end housing the stage and the under-stage room, which was commonly the dressing room for performers.

In later years, the fairly spacious hall keepers residence was altered to accommodate the kitchen as well as becoming a venue for various functions such as weddings – this is now the modern day reception room. As well as this, the baths area became the Council offices which are now occupied by the Trust members in operation of the hall. The public library also moved from the Proudfoot Institute to the part of the complex that was once the council chambers which is accessible via a corridor alongside the Town Hall.

Leading into the early 20th Century, the hall officially began to function as Moffat Town Hall holding a variety of functions such as different concerts, dance bands and public meetings – it was even altered with the addition of projector room which allowed a cinema to run within the hall for a number of years before being removed.

The Moffat Hydro Hotel as it stood in the early 1900s before being destroyed by a fire in 1921, with the cause of which remaining unknown.

The Hall before the alterations of 1859 when the main entrance was situated front and centre of the building.

The High Street in the late 19th century, before the trees were planted

The Moffat mineral well showing the Long Room which was added in the late 1700s

The Moffat mineral well as it is today

The Hall following the alterations when two wings at the north and south end of the building were added.

20th Century Gala Day

Moffat Mineral Well

 
 

What our guests say

"Run by volunteers. Excellent venue for a function. Charity shop on the premises. Lovely building on Moffat High Street."

- John Smith
 

What our guests say

"Went to an evening function. Beautifully decorated. Lovely toilets! Good disabled access."

- Sandra Jerrett
 

What our guests say

"Great community project, really enjoyed the activities. Everything well organised."

- Pam Copeland
 
This site uses cookies.
ConfigureHide Options
 
Read our privacy policy

This site uses cookies for marketing, personalisation, and analysis purposes. You can opt out of this at any time or view our full privacy policy for more information.